Perioperative Care Journal Club
We are very excited to inform you about the establishment of the monthly Perioperative Care Journal Club (PCJC). The PCJC meets the last Wednesday of every month to review and discuss papers/articles of interest to all in the perioperative community.
The Society for Perioperative Research and Care Journal Club is a self-approved group learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Details on the next meeting of the Perioperative Care Journal Club will be available soon.
NOTE: All recordings of the Perioperative Care Journal Club are available on the SPRC member site. Join the Society and join the discussion.
Topics for previous PCJC meetings have included:
- Jan. 26, 2022 – Spinal Anesthesia or General Anesthesia for Hip Surgery presented by Dr. Michele Dearden with special guest Dr. Daniel Sessler, Cleveland Clinic.
- Feb. 23, 2022 – Preoperative prediction of Bleeding Independently associated with Mortality after noncardiac Surgery (BIMS): an international prospective cohort study presented by Dr. Steffen Blum with special guest Dr. Pavel Roshanov
- April 27, 2022 – Kidney Transplant List Status and Outcomes in the ISCHEMIA-CKD Trial; and Coronary Revascularization Versus Optimal Medical Therapy in Renal Transplant Candidates With Coronary Artery Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis presented by Dr. Pavel Roshanov with special guest Dr. Charles Herzog.
- Feb. 24, 2021 – Laparoscopic cholecystectomy versus percutaneous catheter drainage for acute cholecystitis in high risk patients (CHOCOLATE)
- March 24, 2021 – Preoperative intravenous iron to treat anaemia before major abdominal surgery (PREVENTT)
- April 28, 2021 – Perioperative corticosteroid administration: a systematic review and descriptive analysis presented by Dr. Teresa Cafaro with invited guest Dr. Amal Bessissow (senior author)
- May 26, 2021 – Perioperative Bridging Anticoagulation in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation presented by Dr. Hannah MacKenzie with special guest Dr. James Douketis from McMaster University.
- June 23, 2021 – Association of Unrecognized Obstructive Sleep Apnea With Postoperative Cardiovascular Events in Patients Undergoing Major Noncardiac Surgery presented by Dr. Mihailo Veljovic with special guest Dr. Matthew Chan (Chinese University of Hong Kong).
- Sept 29, 2021 – Multi-Modal Analgesic Strategy for Trauma: A Pragmatic Randomized Clinical Trial presented by Dr. Zacharie Cloutier with special guest Dr. Norm Buckley (McMaster University)
- Nov. 9, 2021 – Antibiotic Therapy for 6 or 12 Weeks for Prosthetic Joint Infection presented by Dr. Ammar AlShaker with special guest Dr. Shariq Haider (McMaster University).
- Dec. 8, 2021 – Anaesthetic depth and delirium after major surgery: a randomised clinical trial presented by Dr. Daniel Moller with special guest Dr. Timothy Short (Auckland City Hospital).